Sunday, August 24, 2008

Al Anon and Jackass Fathers

Thanks for all of your comments on the last couple of posts. I went to the Al anon website and checked it out. There is a list of questions on it and I answered "yes" to every single one which, I think, means that I would qualify for Al Anon. They have a book for sale on their website....I think I will buy that first and then decide about meetings. I am just not the kind of person who is comfortable going into a group of strangers and sharing private things. It takes me a long time to trust anyone enough to talk about what I have been through. Anonymous blogging not withstanding.

I got the bill for the limo that I got for my dad last week. $500. I am trying to get an itemized bill out of the limo company because that seems high. I found out that my stupid asshole father took the limo driver to lunch when he picked him up from the hospital and didn't even ask the driver if he was still on duty. Of course he was on duty and I got billed for the hour they were having lunch together. I called my dad to ask him about it and he said "well I just assumed he was off duty". When I told him that I got billed for that time he just said, "that's too bad". Can you even believe that??? He didn't even offer to pay. Oh and in case you were wondering, my dad isn't stupid. The man has an MBA from Wharton and is a CPA. He just doesn't fucking care that he cost me a bunch of money. He doesn't care about me and it has taken me 40 years to really get that.

I am so done with my family. I have one brother who went through rehab (coke, heroin, booze) a few years ago and he is the only one I am going to continue talking to because he is the only one that I think doesn't use me or create problems for me. He completely supports me and thinks its about time I had nothing to do with the family. His description of the situation is that I am Jane Goodall and my family are monkeys and nothing I do will make them act like humans. Insightful. I wish they were monkeys because then at least their behavior would make sense.

2 comments:

Anybeth said...

hey, bunny. how are you?
just thinking of you.
glad you have a sibling on your side in all this.

Princess Powerless said...

Thank you for considering Alanon. It's tough to walk into the door of any 12-step program. I urge you to go to a few meetings and listen for a while.

And don't let those Alanons scare you! Do you know how to tell the difference between an AA meeting and an Alanon meeting?

At an AA meeting, you can't tell who the trusted servant is until they ask everyone to stand and join them in saying the Serenity
Prayer.

At an Alanon meeting, they show you your chair, get you a cup of coffee, give you all the literature, and present you with a beautiful doily embroidered with your initials... in the first five minutes. :-)

Don't worry, they are wonderful people.

I guarantee that if you try a bunch of different meetings and listen for similarities, you will hear your story.

You are in my prayers, sweetie.