Friday, January 11, 2008

Day 9 - Friday night

First of all, thank you to those of you who have been leaving me encouraging comments. You have no idea how much that means to me. Thank you for your kindness. And PJ - thank you for the idea about brushing my teeth when I crave a drink. Great idea. I think I will do that now. I too have gone to bed with my makeup on after having had a few too many and it is such a crummy way to wake up in the morning - hungover and with mascara circles around your eyes.

Well I caved last night. I had 2 vodka-rocks. It felt great at the time but I didn't sleep well. Serves me right for caving like that. I feel like a total jackass. I mean how hard can it be to NOT pick up a bottle??! It takes effort to go to the cabinet, get out the bottle of vodka, fill a glass with ice, and pour it. Much easier to skip the whole process and just stay on the comfy couch, right? But for some reason it seems so hard to not go to the effort of getting a cocktail.

I love to hear the clink of the ice and the feel of the Tiffany scotch glass in my hand. Maybe that is how smokers feel about the whole process of lighting a cigarette? I have heard that from ex-smokers -- that they miss the process of shaking a cigarette out the packet, lighting it, and holding it. I don't smoke but I can certainly understand that sentiment from the perspective of drinking pretty drinks out of lovely glasses. We have all this beautiful stemware and barware that I just love using.

Tonight I don't really want a drink and I am just plain exhausted from not sleeping well the last couple of nights. My husband and I went out to dinner and then to see the new Jason Statham movie, "In the Name of the King"....the movie was just glorious. So awful and campy that it was good. If you like that kind of thing go check it out. The important thing is that we didn't drink with dinner or at the movie. Now its about 10 pm and I am about ready for bed so I won't drink tonight.

We are going to the symphony tomorrow night and I know that there will be a cocktail party following the event so my plan is to tell my husband that I'll be the designated driver and just have diet coke. I am a fanatic about not drinking and driving so when I commit to being the designated driver I am not at all tempted. I fear DUIs more than cancer. Mainly the only time I drink too much is when I am at home and have access to lots of booze with no need for driving.

I never drink a lot around people I don't know well and I don't get drunk in public. Not that I never have mind you...I spent my 20's and early 30's getting to know every bar, pub, and party in Chicago. Of course, if you live in downtown Chicago you never drive anywhere, least of all to and from a bar. But I am 40 years old now and while I may have a drinking problem I have also developed a sense of propriety. No one wants to see a 40 year-old woman stumbling around drunk. Not cool at all.

I'll bet if you asked everyone I know (and I know a LOT of people) whether or not Bunny has a problem with booze, that you would find that no one would think I have a problem. Well, that's not true...maybe a couple of them would...the ones I am comfortable drinking too much around. But for the most part I have gotten to where I drink at home rather than around other people. I wonder if other people do the same thing I do?

Well I had better get to bed before I start craving a beverage that I shouldn't have.

No comments: